Recent Posts

2 July 2013

Ocean at the End of the Lane


A  painting I did for my muse and idol, Neil Gaiman. Meeting him in person and to be able to give this as a gift to him was such an experience. If it were not for my friend Ainsley, I probably would not be able to attend his last U.S. book signing tour.

The event was opened with Jason Webley, an extremely creative singer-songwriter, delivering his  one-of-a-kind songs (like, a song about Giraffe? That is new). Jason Webley used to be Amanda Palmer's partner in the duo Evelyn Evelyn. At this point of time, cue cards were also being passed around and everyone got to write a question/a note for Neil Gaiman. I wrote, "Do you believe in talent?" as a question. It's one question that always intrigued me whenever I met someone so gifted and at the same time, so hardworking that perhaps they have dedicated their whole life to their craft.


Neil Gaiman answered the questions and notes he found interesting after he finished reading a chapter of his latest book, Ocean at the End of the Lane. I have to tell you that besides being a master of wordcraft, he is a captivating storyteller too. Maybe I was just a lucky rabbit, maybe it is meant to be, but Neil Gaiman actually picked my question as one of the few. I was internally exploding out of happiness. He answered, "I do believe in talent. But I believe in hardwork more."


Did I tell you that he was really pleased by my gift? I got hugged by Neil Gaiman himself. I think I went to the infinity and beyond for a brief moment due to the exhilarating amount of happiness.


Thank you so much, Neil, for making that day unforgettable.

0 letters:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit. Have a nice day!

Jo